Sunday, September 2, 2012

What to do about the PLANTS issue?

Sometimes people ask you, when you are a vegan, why you think it is okay to eat plants and not animals-- after all, you're still hurting the poor plants! Besides this being one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard, it is also one of the most annoying. This is why I want to answer it on my blog once and for all.
Super-Obvious Point #1: Plants do not have brains. They do not have neurons, nor do they have nerves. Therefore, the notion that they could feel physical, excrutiating pain is very unlikely, if not impossible. Since they do not have brains, it also follows that they can not have conscious thought, as long as conscious thought is defined by having a brain. Some research has gone into whether or not plants have consciousness, which I applaud for its audacity and its open-mindedness, but even if plants did have consciousness, it would not be a reason to eat animals over plants, because...
Super-Obvious Point #2: Animals eat plants! Farmers have to feed cattle, pigs, chickens, etc. vast quantities of grain to get them fat enough for slaughter. And not all those calories become flesh ("meat"), either-- in fact, most of them get burned off when the animals move, digest the food, breathe, think, etc. So it is highly inefficient to raise livestock, and it results in the deaths of more plants anyway.
Super-Obvious Point #3: Animal products are bad for you. I've already given ample evidence of this on my two blogs, but if you haven't read that yet, then perhaps you should read the articles on www.chooseveg.com and www.goveg.com, hm?
PETA T-Shirt Design
Whew. I'm glad I finally did a good job of explaining that. Now I hope that nobody will ask me again, and instead just read my blog!
I'm sorry for forgetting to post last week. I was on vacation. See you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment