Saturday, August 18, 2012

Vegan Travel

Vegan On The Road
Photo Courtesy of www.spencerhopedavis.com
I'm going on vacation, starting today, so I think I should post today instead. For the next two weeks, my posts might be a little... er... spontaneous. It is hard to know when I'll have access to the computer, you know?
But here is my post.... about how to be vegan while travelling!
Preparation is key. You should either bring your own food, or money to buy it at a grocery store, or you should research vegan restaurants along your route.
Bringing your own food can mean a lot of packing and lugging around coolers. Of course, if you are going on a road trip, this shouldn't be a problem, but if you are flying or taking a train or taking another less predictable form of transportation, you need to buy most of your food along the way. If you can't bring all your food with you, bring along some non-perishables, like crackers, granola bars, and cookies. Make sure you use eco-friendly packaging-- take a look at my blog post on Hug A Tree Today, Seriously for ideas about eco-friendly camping for more information. You can also buy special containers of soy milk that don't have to be refrigerated until you open them (these are usually only individual boxes, though).
Grocery/Health Food Stores can be useful, since you can buy things like fruits and vegetables. You can whip up some of the foods you eat at home in your hotel room.
For a directory of vegan restaurants, go to http://www.happycow.net/.

I'd love to write more, but I can't spend any more time on the computer because I have to finish packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment