Every year, several conferences and events for vegan/animal rights activists take place across North America and around the world. These events can provide a forum for activists to network, learn about issues and advocacy strategies, and be inspired to make a difference! Below is a list of some of the animal-rights-related conferences that will be held in 2017. Please note that this is not a complete list, and, as I haven’t been to any of these events in previous years, I can’t say which ones are the best/most worthwhile to attend!
Animal Rights National Conference 2017: According to this conference’s website, the Animal Rights National Conference is the largest and longest-running animal rights gathering—the first one was held in 1981! It is organized by the Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM). If you can go to only one conference this year, consider making this the one you go to. Here’s what they say you can expect:
“The Animal Rights National Conference is designed for people who wish to improve their animal advocacy skills or simply to network with other animal activists. The Conference offers a number of educational and networking opportunities, including:
- Sessions on animal advocacy, organizing, tactics, and issues
- More than 100 speakers from 60 organizations
- Eyewitness reports on key campaigns
- 100+ free exhibits
- Video premieres
- Newcomer Orientation
- Nightly networking receptions
- Awards Banquet on Saturday evening
- Closing celebration on Sunday evening
- Post-conference protests on Monday”
When: August 3 – 6
Where: Alexandria, Vermont (just outside of Washington, DC), USA
Vegetarian SummerFest 2017: This is an annual vegan festival and conference. The 2016 conference was jam-packed with world-renowned vegan speakers, cooking classes, fitness classes, vendors, and more!
When: July 5-9, 2017
Where: last year it took place in Pennsylvania.
International Animal Rights Conference: This conference took place in Luxembourg in September 2016. Their website does not yet mention if there is going to be a 2017 conference, but I speculate it is likely that there will be, as they have had six of these conferences to date.
When: Saturday, March 11, 2017, 10am-6pm
Where: Berkeley, California, USA
Cost: $15/person (free for students)
The Anti-Fur Society Vegan Conference: This conference is focused on promoting vegan alternatives to fur in clothing.
When: Saturday, April 8, 2017
Where: Manhattan, New York, USA
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine "Food For Life" Training: Interested in getting certified by PCRM to teach healthy vegan cooking in your community? Anyone interested in this can register to attend the next training! This isn't a conference, but I've included it because vegan activists may be interested in it anyway.
When: Wednesday, May 3 - Friday, May 5, 2017
Where: Washington, DC, USA
Your local VegFest: Don't forget to find out when your local VegFest will be taking place this year!
- The Animal Film Festival on February 25, 2017 in California
- The World Vegan Summit (date not yet announced) in the USA (I cannot confirm that there will be one in 2017, but it sounds like there will be)
- Animals and Social Change Conference from June 29 - June 30, 2017 in Liverpool, UK
- Conference on Animal Rights in Europe, which took place in 2016 in Warsaw, Poland (I don't know if there will be a follow-up conference to this)
- Animal Activists Forum 2017 in October 2017 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Vevolution Festival 2017 (date not yet announced) in London, England
There is also an animal welfare conference taking place in Ottawa, ON, Canada in 2017. It doesn't look like it's related to animal rights at all, but if you live in Ottawa, it might be good to bring your vegan voice to that conference, to raise awareness!