Friday, May 31, 2013

Get Talking!

A really great way to get people to go vegan is to hold presentations, workshops, and discussions on the topic. It doesn't have to be a big event. A few weeks ago, I went to a high school near Ottawa to discuss veganism with two classes. I had prepared a PowerPoint presentation, but it didn't work, so I had to talk from memory instead. One class in particular was very interested in what I had to say. I'm not a master public speaker, I'm still a high school student, and I haven't got a "narrator"-style voice, but I still was able to make a difference!
You can do this, too. It's easy. All you have to do is prepare a short presentation, whether you memorize a speech, put together something on PowerPoint, make a short video, or prepare a workbook to go through with your audience. It's up to you!
Some tips:
  • Play to your strengths. If you are a fabulous baker, perhaps you could bake vegan cookies and cake, and then have people ask questions about why you're a vegan, whether it's hard, etc. They're more likely to agree to try it out if their vegan cake tastes delicious! ;) On the other hand, if you are an athlete, you could show them a video of you doing your athletic exercises while talking about how going vegan is good for your health. Or, if you are just a do-gooder activist who feels deeply for animals, you could talk about your concern for the animals, and why they matter so much to you.
  • Be friendly and thoughtful of others' feelings. See my post on the Socratic method for information on how I think you should approach the subject with non-veg*ns. And, a post I did on demonstrating compassion towards animals in everyday life and conversation can be found here.
  • Show them a video that lists off loads of famous vegetarians and vegans. You can find a good one on Volentia.com.
  • If you want to make a video documentary to show people (and it would be great if you did), see my post on the subject here.
  • You might find my "Culminating the 3 essential skills" post very helpful, as well.
  • If you generate enough interest through the presentation, you can even start an an animal rights/vegan club at your school/community centre/etc. (depending on where you are presenting). See my two-part series on starting a club here:
Some ideas for venues you could speak at:
  • Your local community centre. Community centres often hold baking classes and other cool things.
  • Your local library. Libraries hold loads of information seminars, discussion groups, book clubs, etc.
  • A local school. I recommend speaking to students in grades six to twelve; anything younger than that probably won't be able to convince their parents to let them go vegan. If you are currently in elementary, middle, or high school, you could speak to your fellow peers, or with others at different schools. If you're currently a university student, you could also speak to your peers there.
  • A nearby healthy/vegan/green/equitable/etc. eating cuisine. Sometimes they have places to give cooking workshops and information sessions.
For information, you can turn to plenty of sources, including my blog. Many of the posts (especially the ones from last summer, I think) contain lots of information on various issues. If you want other sources of information, you can turn to www.VeganOutreach.org, www.ChooseVeg.com, and more.
I've posted this early because I am going to be away at an environmental retreat this weekend. Have a nice weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment