Sunday, January 20, 2013

Vegan Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Muffins

A few days ago my aunt Jen sent me a Sweet Potato Muffins recipe that she got from a book called Finally... Food I Can Eat! by Shirley Plant. I want to post it here on my blog. Here is the recipe as she sent it to me. Enjoy!

Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia

"page 186
Sweet Potato Muffins:

(I doubled this recipe)

3/4 cup chickpea flour (I didn't have any, so used quinoa flour)
3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup potato starch (I didn't have any, so used green pea flour)
2 tblsp. ground hemp seed (I didn't have any, so used ground flax seeds)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all dry ingredients together.

1 and 1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato (I didn't have enough already cooked, so used some canned plain pumpkin, too)
1 tsp. pure vanilla
1/3 cup canola oil or safflower oil (I didn't have any, so used grapeseed oil)
1/3 cup organic coconut milk
1/4 cup maple syrup (I didn't have any, so used agave syrup)
1/2 cup pecans (I am off nuts,so didn't use any)

Mix wet ingredients, and add to dry ingredients. Mix well.

Fill muffin tins, and bake 350F for twenty five minutes (Or until done).

With all my changes. these muffins are heavy and dense, so are probably best done in smallish muffin cups. But the flavour is divine. Oh yes, I also added about 1/4 cup of candied orange peel that I had leftover from my Christmas baking. Yum!!"

Next week, I'm going to be talking about something extra special, but that super-special topic has currently slipped my mind, so it will be a surprise for all of us!

1 comment:

  1. I was lucky enough to try one of these muffins, and they are GREAT!
    Love this blog.
    A.M.

    ReplyDelete